|Tropical Storm Watch Defined|
|Exclusive WeatherBug Video on Tropical Storm Watches|
A Tropical Storm Watch is issued when tropical storm conditions -- including tropical storm-force winds between 39 and 73 mph, coastal storm surge flooding and tropical downpours - - are likely within 48 hours. A watch could be issued more than 36 hours for large-populated or isolated areas that need larger amounts of time to prepare.
Residents living in a tropical storm watch area should prepare home for deteriorating weather and activate emergency preparations.
- Monitor the storm`s progress
- Familiarize yourself with evacuation routes and location of shelters
- Follow instructions of local authorities
- Evacuate if and when advised
- Determine shelter options for pets
- Stock up on batteries, food, water and first aid supplies
- Have cash on hand in the event of power outages (no ATMs)
- Top-off gas tanks
Sources: National Weather Service, Fla. Emergency Management Agency
What do you think of this story?
Click here for comments or suggestions.